Thursday, February 8, 2007

Muse Watson INTERVIEW



In 1996, Wes Craven re generated the slasher genre with his ultra contemporary SCREAM. Honestly, I love the movie. It's an all around entertaining movie. Surely, with the success of SCREAM, imitations and imitators were bound to rear their bloody stumps. I'm sure that the film I Know What You Did Last Summer needs no introduction. A hook welding maniac stalks a bunch of teens after they run over a guy. Sounds good. Sue me, but I enjoyed this flick too.

2003 was a great year for me in regards to interviews. I was able to get in touch with Muse Watson. His role as Ben Willis (our hooked killer) has become a contemporary cultural icon no matter how much one dislikes the series. Anyway, below is the interview I conducted with Muse about four years ago.


Lunchmeat: I'm going to cut right to the chase. How
did you hear
about the
part of 'Hook Man', Ben Willis?



Muse Watson: I actually got a call from my agent
saying that they were having
trouble finding a Ben.
I was asked to come to the casting office and read

the role on tape to be sent to the director who was
allready in
North
Carolina
on location.
I thought it was a great role.
Here was a man who
was a loving father who
becomes crazy after his daughter is killed in

an accident. Of course, after arriving on set,
the loving father part
got diminished. But when I
first read it...I thought it was well
written and a great character.

Lunchmeat: What kinds of things did you do, behind the
scenes, to
get in shape for your role as everyone's
favorite
'Hooked Maniac'?

Muse Watson: Well, I studied each movement like Tai Chi,
because I thought of Ben as
a man who was methodical
and smooth. I took the Hook home with me and
became
very accomplished and accurate. I could spin it in the
air four
revolutions and catch it in a back-hand. A move
that one of the
producers thought should have been included
in the film. I could also take
every leaf off of a bush one
at a time with out touching the other
leaves. Ben's movement
was very important to me.
Because he was not
revealed til the end,
it was very important to me for the audience to
feel
his presence and know his ominous nature.

Lunchmeat: What's your thoughts on being considered
somewhat of a
horror movie 'Icon'? Do you accept this
role with
honors, or reluctance?

Muse Watson: It's an honor. I don't think it is "just"
luck either. Although a
great audience reaction seems
a bit of luck in this business. I think the
camera work,
the other character's reactions, the movement I gave him,
all have a part in it. I'm proud to be a horror "Icon".
...and
grateful to the horror fans. Of course like any
other actor, I could wish that I could earn the
distinction
of being a comedy icon too by the end of my career. (Laughs)


Lunchmeat: Between the renewed success of the
modern day Slasher
film, which 'classic' Slasher
Icon would you love to
portray in a motion picture,
if you had the chance?
And why?

Muse Watson: I was not a big fan of the genre before
becoming 'Ben' so my knowledge
of them is limited.
I don't know which one I would choose, but I would
jump at the chance I'm sure.


Lunchmeat: I Know What You Did Last Summer catapulted
many
careers, including yours. What was it like to work
with such a talented bunch of actors/actresses, all at
the same time? And if I may be so bold, which was your
favorite?

Muse Watson: It is always exciting to work with a cast
full of folks who are on
their way up. The energy is
amazing. I really enjoyed getting to know them
and love
them. As for my favorite, I can tell you I would be
proud to
have any or all of them as family. Love will
always hold a special
place in my heart. She was
responsible for my being on Saturday Night
Live.
One of the biggest thrills of my life. Sarah and I
really enjoyed
talking and going places, and I think
she is one of the sweetest and
most professional actors
I have ever had the pleasure to work with.
Freddy is a
really nice person and interesting to get to know. He is
very
intelligent. Ryan is thoughtful and kind. He is
such a talented actor
that it's scary. He has an
incredible range. Johnney Galecki was fun
to get to know.
I worked with him again on 'Morgan's Ferry'...and would

jump at the chance to work with him again.

We worked with some incredible talent in both films
and they were both
a pleasure to shoot.

Lunchmeat: I just saw 'Hollywood Vampyr'. It was kind of
odd not
seeing you portray a villain. Which had you rather
play, the good guy, OR the villain? and why?

Muse Watson: I'm an actor. I will play whatever the role
calls for. I've done some
real villains though, and since
the birth of my daughter, I guess I
would like to play some
nice guys now. Something she can watch. (Laughs)



Lunchmeat: Were you surprised that I Know What You Did Last Summer
would become the success it has become?

Muse Watson: Well, yeah. I didn't even go to the premier.
LOL My publicist said I
could stay at the hide-out in
Tennessee if I wanted to. He said the word on the street
was that something must be wrong with the film, since

they were not allowing any press pre-screening. LOL You never
know in
this business.


Lunchmeat: Were you all up for filming a sequel and
reprising
your role as, Ben Willis?

Muse Watson: Sure. I was excited about working with
the cast again. Although I was
disappointed in the
additional information they gave Ben's character
eventually.
I didn't think it was necessary or fit the original
character.


Lunchmeat: I know that on a lot of movie sets, certain
things can
go wrong during production. Were there any 'mishaps'
that occurred during the making of either 'Last Summer' film?
Muse Watson: Yeah. When I was hung up-side down by one leg and
swung across the
boat...right after my hand was severed...I
busted all the blood vessels in
my eyes. Love was grossed
out by the way it looked when I was put down
and called for
the medic.

Another time, the barge we were using for lighting broke
loose and was
headed for us and we had to evacuate the
barge we were using for
staging for fear that the collision
could hurt a bunch of us.
The 'throw him in the ocean' scene
became very scary. It was scheduled
with the tides so I would
be able to stand on the bottom and have my
head above water after
they threw me in. We got behind and the scened
was filmed after
the tide had come in over my head. I had weights on me
to make sure
I went to the bottom, so that became an issue. LOL
On I Still Know,
I busted the joint in my big toe and had to be
transported
by armed guards across bandit territory in the middle of the
night
to a hospital.
I later had surgery.



Lunchmeat: And the 'eternal' question is, will there be
another
'Last Summer' sequel? And if so, are you rearing
and
ready to go?

Muse Watson: I doubt it. The folks who own the franchise
haven't said anything
except that they are not interested
in doing one. I could be talked into
one, depending on how
they handle the script and who they asked to be in
it.


Lunchmeat: Muse, I just want to thank you for your
time. It's
been a real pleasure.

Muse Watson: Thanks for asking.

No comments: