Saturday, December 30, 2006

Truth or Dare: and the Remake



Two days before the new year. I wonder what 2007 will bring us? More remakes of cinematic classics? Less originality than we already have?

I've come not expect much in future years. After all, I've read text-books written in the 60's that foresee a 1990's world where humans will be doing the bidding of robots, not the other way around. Whatever the case, it's suffice to say that most of the world has lost its originality. When looking back on my favorite things of the past, two things come to mind; Scary flicks and old school Metallica. As I do a total inventory on my life, I've sadly realized that not too many things have excited me over the years. I guess high expectations met with very low manifestations have caused this. Who knows? The thing is, the past really holds nothing for me.

Well, I take that back. A third of my waking life has had one foot in past tense, the other in the now. I've very rarely thought about the future, and it's really official to say that I probably never will. (on a grand scale)

I've come to the end conclusion that if watching nostalgic films from my youth brings me happiness, so-be-it. If sitting on my couch in my spare time, with an old vhs tape whizzing in my vcr gives me shits 'n giggles, so-be-it.

As my subtext, not very many things can tickle my fancy. Leaning back on cinema, (especially w films produced these days) just don't cut it. If looking forward to an original horror film these days was a protagonist to my well being, I'd be a sick man. I'd be waiting once or twice a year just to get half a high anyway. Why switch to a different drug when the drug you've been getting high on for years still does the trick?

I can think of about ten films throughout my childhood and teenage years that have made lasting impressions on me - Films that the memory thereof strike a chord withing the neocortex. A lot of classic films have lead me to where I'm at now in regards to my movie going experiences. One of the films that ranks on my totem pole of balls to the wall gruesomeness and gore is a 1986 no-budget shocker called 'Truth or Dare: A Critical Madness''.

Looking back, very few experiences have I remembered as I do the first time watched 'Truth or Dare'. I was no more than nine at the time. From that tender young age, I was never able to find another copy of this flick. Not until recently have I been able to sit down to viewings on my on time. My mother-in-law actually picked this movie up for my wife and I for a dollar - with the original vhs artwork - still in great shape.

Mike Strauber is an unstable business man. He comes home in his gold Trans-Am and finds his wife in the bed with her boss. Of course, Mike doesn't take this lightly, going on a spree that would leave carnage and absolute destruction in his wake. Kids being violently ran over. An old women being battered with a mid-evil style mace. Old men being dared to cut off their hands while screaming in agony. A retarded guy being dared to stick a live grenade in his mouth.

Tim Ritter (director) was on nineteen years old when this movie was released. I would imagine that his main objective was to pile as much carnage, gore, and sheer violence into one film as he possibly could. I'm not sure of any subtext (if any). Ninety minutes of nothing but scenes of mayhem - Strauber going in and out of mental facilities, each time, being released in worse shape than before.

Tim Ritter obviously knew that during the time this film was released, the video market was a gold mine. I'm not sure about 'Truth or Dare', but even straight to video movies could sometimes gross millions. Jumping on the STV bandwagon has proven to be a career for Tim Ritter.

I got in touch with Tim a few days ago. He was kind enough to answer some of my questions about some of his films. One thing that really surprised me was he stating that a remake for 'Truth or Dare: A Critical Madness' is well underway. He stated that it was an almost sure fire thing, and that one day, we'll be seeing a modern day version of the 80's cheesy-shock-fest. I've never been excited to see a remake (except for Zombie's Halloween remake), but I can't wait for this one to come into fruition.

Here's the MySpace page for the upcoming remake: (copy and paste in address bar)
Http://www.MySpace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.profile&friendID=42260806

Here's the url for Tim Ritter's official website:

http://www.timritter.com


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I am anxiously awaiting that TRUTH OR DARE remake. I read that the KILLING SPREE remake will be made first, shooting down in FL in early 2009 here. CooL!